With their new Operating System BB10 Blackberry made it very easy to convert existing Android applications into Blackberry 10 apps. My test revealed that around 50% of the applications work very well on my Blackberry Z10. The other ones will crash at their start, most likely due the incomplete API. With the soon coming update this might get even better.
I want to show you how easy it is to download, convert and install Android apps on your Blackberry device. The easiest way is to use the Chrome browser as it has 2 extensions which make our work much easier.
If you already have a BAR file (i.e. cgeo from here), you can start with step 10.
- Install Chrome Web browser
- Install the extension APK-Downloader
- Install the extension PlayBook App Manager
- Configure the APK-Downloader
- Configure the PlayBook App Manager and the Blackberry device
- With the Chrome browser go to the Google Play Store page of the desired application, i.e. c:geo.
- Download the APK file with the green icon behind the address bar
- Go to the page http://apk2bar.unker.net/ and upload the apk file
- Wait and download the generated BAR file.
- Open the PlayBook App Manager and install the BAR file